This blog is all about mitchell sanders and nothing else....... or is it???!!!!???
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Blog One
We just got here and Ted Lavender's already dead. Humping through nothing but dense jungle and patty fields, with your occasional tunnel sysytem here and there. I remember sitting peacefully in the shade of an old banyan tree. I was using my thimbnail to pry off the body lice, working slowly, carefully depositing the lice in a blue USO envelope. My eyes were heavy, and after an hour er so I sealed the envelope, wrote free on it in the upper right hand corner. I addresed it to my draft board in Ohio. My arms a little soar from loading boxes of C-rations with lee strunk. The other day i told one of my comrads that story i made most of up. you're pinned down in some filthy hellhole of a paddy, getting your ass delivered to kingdom come, but then for a few seconds everything goes quiet and you look up and see the sun and a few puffy white clouds, and the immense serenity flashes against your eyeballs--the whole world gets rearranged--and even though you're pinned down a war you never felt more at peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah i can picture something like that happening, a big explosion next to you that messes you up and you seem to forget about the outside world. Just thinking about random things.
ReplyDeleteLice! How awful. But when you said. . .“but then for a few seconds everything goes quiet and you look up and see the sun and a few puffy white clouds, and the immense serenity flashes against your eyeballs--the whole world gets rearranged--and even though you're pinned down a war you never felt more at peace,” I wondered. Was that really happening or were you just hit and lying on you back about to die?
ReplyDeleteThat sucks about the lice Sanders. Why would u mail it? I hope you get better and get rid of the lice.
ReplyDeleteMan sometimes it's just to much. You just hope to go home and have your days peaceful. But when I got shot in the ass and got sent to S-4 I was so bored. I envied you guys. I really miss all of you. I feel like I can't be part of the clan and it pisses me off. All the memories and good times together. How could you guys just forget me, you act like I'm not a part of the crew no more.
ReplyDelete